The XI Symposium of the Maqam Research Group of the International Council for Traditional Music will be for the first time held in the Russian Federation, in St. Petersburg. The forum unites the leading scholars of Russia, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Iran and other countries specializing in research of the Near and Middle East tradition of maqamat.
The topics of speeches:
- Macam in the context of world musical civilizations;
- The social as well as the religious and sacred, their proportion in various historical-cultural practices, canons and concepts of maqamat;
- Searching for authentic performing styles and models of maqamat: theory and practice;
- Ideas and concepts of Soviet and Russian musicology in maqamat studies, professional music in folklore traditions of the people of the East;
- Other topics related to the issues of maqamat, classical music, professional music in folklore traditions of the Muslim world.